John Fisher in Focus
John is a member of one of the largest African Caribbean churches in England, the New Testament Church Of God (NTCG), which has a membership of approx. 8,000 people. He is the Minister Of Music in his local assembly in Brixton, South London.
Born 20th April 1966, known as one of Britain’s top drummers, and an all round musician, John has been around for over 30 years and is a well-known and respected face in the British Gospel Music industry.
John was the principal drummer for the first gospel musical to ever play at a major West End theatre called MAMA I WANT TO SING which starredÂ the Legendary Chaka Khan and Doris Troy. This explosive production boasted a cast of the top British gospel musicians and singers in the country at that time. They played 8 shows a week and ran for 6 months from January – July 1995.
As a drummer, John’s list of credits is quite phenomenal as you can see below.
Nowadays John teaches drums and conducts regular vocal workshops for schools, colleges, churches and various music programs around the UK.
Although his drumming engagements are not as much as back in the day, John now enjoys seeing his sons André and Dayna play drums & bass with the same vibe he showed when he played regularly.
Founder and Director John Fisher has had a long and established career within the UK gospel industry, both front and backstage. Read more about the people he has worked with over the years.
Artists that John has played for over his long and successful career include:
- The London Community Gospel Choir,
- Chaka Khan, Noel Robinson, Mica Paris, Denise Williams, Ruby Turner, Candi Staton, Alexander O’Neal, Gabrielle, Ron Kenoly, Michelle Gayle, Graham Kendrick, Sharlene Spiteri(Texas), Cece Winans, David Carrick (Mike and the Mechanics), Kavanna, Manu D Bango, Piece by Peace, Ronan Keating (Boyzone), Paul Eaton (Beautiful South)
Television & Radio performances:
- GMTV, VH1, Songs of Praise, Gospel Train
- Denise Williams Show, O Zone, Radio’s 1,2,3 & 4
- Capital Radio Christmas live recordings, Choice FM
- Glastonbury (UK), Greenbelt (UK), Phoenix (UK)
- Flavor (Holland), Festival of Sacred Music (Morocco),
- Numerous festivals sponsored by British Council:
- Israel, Turkey, Morocco, Poland
- Summer Nights festival (Japan).
While playing for the London Community Gospel Choir, they have performed with:
- Celine Dion, Elton John, Sting, Luther Vandross
- Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, Spiritualized
- George Michael, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton
- Mariah Carey, Eternal, Ruby Turner, Carlene Anderson
John has now hit the milestone birthday, recently celebrating his 50th Birthday, and is now well seasoned as a UK gospel music representative.
In a recent article the UK gospel music scene were asked who are the 10 most influential people in UK gospel music?, and John was named among the top 10. With this mantle put on John, he continues to work within the gospel music scene and doesn’t seem to be running out of fuel anytime soon
John’s legacy is now building as he not only works with adults but for the past 8 years he has run his company “We Sing U Sing” and works with children throughout South London. John’s work in schools puts him in front of 2000 children each week, developing and inspiring chidren’s and young people through singing gospel and inspirational songs and bringing messages of Love, Joy, hope and peace .
Premier Gospel Awards 2018
At this years Premier Gospel Awards John Fisher and IDMC had the privilege to not only be nominated but go on to win an award for Choir of the Year!
The prestigious ceremony took place on Saturday 14th April 2018 and alongside John, celebrated artists such as Noel Robinson and Travis Greene. Notoriously as one of the busiest men in gospel! John unfortunately wasn’t able to attend the ceremony, but his lovely wife Maulin and seasoned IDMC veteran Courtney Hoillett were able to deliver the acceptance speech and collect the award.
Hear the award interview here https://twitter.com/idmcgospeluk/status/986849446699954176